Friday, November 03, 2006

No Such Thing As Routine Exam

9:06am- Sit patiently in waiting room at UCSF Mt. Zion Medical Center, ready to receive x-rays on my long-suffering back. Over the loudspeaker, a woman disrupts in the calmest of voices, “Code Blue, Operating Room, A Level. Code Blue, Operating Room, A Level.” I look up at the waiting room sign, which now curiously says: Operating Room, A Level. Team of doctors come rushing at me with defibrillator paddles. Before I know what’s happening, loudspeaker woman cuts in again, “Cancel Code Blue.” Doctors walk away shaking their heads with dispair at the unfairness of it all. How could this happen to someone so young? How?

5:02pm- Asked by receptionist of Yosemite Lodge in Yosemite National Park at check-in if I am ‘Bear Aware.’ I am not.

Other than that, pretty good day.

No comments: